OmniSci (formerly MapD) is the creator of the Extreme Analytics Platform, the world’s fastest open source analytics technology. What started as a radical idea at Harvard and MIT, has grown to be a platform that is changing the way major businesses and governments gain insights from massive datasets.
OmniSci has made breakthrough advancements in big data analytics and visualization, by harnessing the transformative power of supercomputer-grade GPUs. Since launching our product in 2016, OmniSci has been recognized as a Gartner Cool Vendor, a Top Ten Coolest Big Data Startups by CRN, and is experiencing explosive growth in users and customers.
The company is backed by leading VCs and strategic investors, including NEA; Nvidia, GV (Google), In-Q-Tel, Verizon Ventures and Vanedge Capital.
OmniSci (formerly MapD) is the creator of the extreme analytics platform, used in business and government to find insights in big data beyond the limits of mainstream analytics tools. The platform, available in cloud, open source, and enterprise versions, harnesses the massive parallel computing of GPUs for breakthrough performance at scale. OmniSci wishes to foster the growth of user and developer communities around our platform. Community is a core piece of OmniSci’s strategy, and our community team is tasked with building a vibrant, diverse ecosystem that makes all of its members successful.
OmniSci is seeking a Community Developer Advocate to spread the word about the OmniSci open-source and community offerings, and support community members. Evangelizing the technical value of our offering and showing how it can be integrated into a larger analytics ecosystem are critical components of the role. This position can be remote, but candidates must be located in North America only. The position will report to the VP of Community based in our HQ office in downtown San Francisco.
- Build demos and workflows showing users and developers how the OmniSci platform can deliver value in the context of production environments and real use cases.
- Develop written materials and code repos showcasing the technical value of the product such as demos, blog posts and tutorials.
- Design and execute large-scale community-building and engagement initiatives.
- Be the face of the company and community at technical events (user conferences, meetups, hackathons) geared toward attracting new users to the community.
- Speak in front of large developer audiences about the value of the OmniSci platform.
- Engage with academic labs and researchers to promote adoption of the OmniSci platform in academia.
- Be the voice of the community inside OmniSci, offering external guidance to positively influence product and marketing plans.
- In general, do anything and everything to get users and developers adopting and contributing to the OmniSci community.
- This is a technical role; 3+ years of experience writing code and content (blog, video, etc.) for demos and proofs of concept, or as a developer building on top of database and analytics technologies is required.
- Technical credibility is critical. The ideal candidate will be able to engage and support the community with a credible and knowledgeable voice.
- Fluency with databases, data engineering, data science, and/or data analytics is important. Experience as a user of cutting-edge database, visualization and analytics technologies will ensure the demos and content are highly relevant to the community.
- Experience (2+ years) engaging as a member of other communities (open source, other developer platforms, etc.).
- Passion for the OmniSci project and driving adoption via an open source strategy.
- An undergraduate degree in a technical field, or similar experience as a developer is highly preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-starter with ability to conceive of, and drive projects through to completion.
- Relentless attention to the needs of users.
- Ability to travel. Expected 10-40% of time.